Friday 22 May 2015

Calamity Jane at the Bord Gais Theatre


Wednesday my friend and I brought our Mother's
out for a late Mother's day treat to see Calamity Jane
in the Board Gais Theatre.
We went out for a meal first and then strolled up
toward the Board Gais Theatre
We had a few cocktails and then took our seats
to enjoy the show


I know the 1950's movie inside out as it's my Mam's
favourite movie so I grew up with Doris Day belting out Secret Love!
Firstly the stage looked great done out like an old Deadwood saloon stage
I really enjoyed how each cast member plays their own instrument on stage and how 
instruments on stage are disguised as posts, carts, and tables etc
The supporting cast are really good I enjoyed the comic storyline of Francis Fryer and Susan
but felt this storyline lacked a bit in the second act.
We where all singing along to the classic songs The Deadwood Stage, Windy City, and Secret Love,
but I also enjoyed hearing new songs just for the show
Adelaide, Men, Love You Dearly, but my favourite was Careless With The Truth!


Tom Lister (Carl King Emmderdale) who plays Wild Bill Hickok was one of the stand out performances for me. He has a great voice and I really enjoyed his version of My Heart Is Higher Than A Hawk. The chemistry between him and Calamity Jane was comic but very well played.
Speaking of Calamity Jane Jodie Prenger was the star of the show. She matches Doris Day but also puts her own stamp on Calamity. She is very funny in some scenes and vocally she is on top form. When she belts out Secret Love was probably my favourite part of the show.
The first act was action packed with lots of songs, action and comic moments. I felt the second act lacked a little with a slower pace and less songs, but over all I really enjoyed this production on Calamity Jane. It also got the Mammy's seal of approval!!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment Paul & I really appreciate them.

You can also get in touch with us at mrslfurey101@gmail.com

Thanks The Furey Follies

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com