Tuesday 22 November 2016

My Favourite Christmas Carols

I know it's still only November but alot of my friends have there Christmas trees up
and I have been listening to Christmas songs and carols since the weekend!
Last year I done a post about my favourite Christmas songs which you can see here
This post is my favourite carols to listen to over the festive season

Do You Hear What I Hear?~Idina Menzel
This is not technically a carol it was written in 1962 as a plea for peace
but in recent years it has been added to carol concerts.
It has been recorded by Bing Crosby, Perry Como, Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, and lots more
My favourite version is by Elsa legend Idina Menzel

It Came Upon A Midnight Clear~Josh Groban
This was originally a poem which over the years was adapted into a carol
It was the Christmas legend Johnny Mathis that made it into a popular Christmas carol
Soon it was included on everyone Christmas albums from The Carpenters to Anne Murray
I love this version from Josh Groban his voice is like velvet and the gospel choir raise this song from good to excellent!

Joy To The World~Celtic Women
One of the most popular carols, this song is Christmas for me!
The origins of the music of the song is unknown but it's words date back to 1719
In the late 20th century it was the most published Christmas song in America!
I like this very festive version from Celtic Woman

Silent Night~Stevie Nicks
Silent Night is not my favourite carol, I think that is because one year in primary song
I was doing a solo during the song for a Christmas concert the song was drummed into my head
I am sure I was singing it in my sleep! Afterwards I said I would be happy if I never heard the song again!
When I heard Stevie Nick's version of the classic carol it gave me a new take on a old classic!
Stevie's recognisable husky voice gives a romantic, rock air to the song
While it isn't my favourite carol or my favourite Stevie Nicks song, it is nice to hear such a traditional carol done slightly different

Mary Did You Know?~Pentatonix
This is another that is not technically a carol it was written in 1991
but it is such a beautiful haunting song that I had to add to my list!
It is now a modern Christmas classic and I love alot of different versions
Michael Crawford, Josh Groban and Hayley Westenra are all my favourites but this version
by Pentatonix is amazing. There tight vocals and beautiful harmonies make this song even more stunning 

Carol Of The Bells~Mormon Tabernacle Choir
I have two favourite versions of this song the beautiful but more traditionally version
by the stunning Mormon Tabernacle Choir. From the bells at the start to the choir soaring towards the end it is a stunning carol.

Carol Of The Bells~Trans Siberian Orchestra
 
I love this Orchestra and there takes on classical music
It's definitely something different from normal Christmas carol
Oisìn just loves to dance around when listening to it!

Oh Holy Night~Sarah Brightman
My favourite carol ever is O Holy Night
It dates back to a French town in 1847 a beautiful song which reflects on the birth of Jesus
and how it will save mankind
It has been recorded by many many musicians from different genres of music
My favourite is from Sarah Brightman when she was at the height of her solo career in 1998
Yes she does make some strange facial expressions but her voice and song itself is stunning

What are your favourite carols?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment Paul & I really appreciate them.

You can also get in touch with us at mrslfurey101@gmail.com

Thanks The Furey Follies

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com