Friday 1 July 2016

The Classics Book Tag

The bookworm in me loves the classics and while I wasn't tagged
by anyone I really wanted to do this book tag!
You can see the original tag over at It's a Book World

1.An Overhyped Classic You Didn't Like:
Definitely for me it's The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald
I didn't like the style of writing, it took me forever to get into the book
All the characters are so unlikable, bland and hard to connect to, they are mostly spoiled, rich idiots!!
I really wanted to like it but I hated it and for that reason I really dislike the movie versions too.

2. Favourite Time Period To Read About:
I love all historical fiction but if I had to chose it would be either 16th century Italy (Renaissance)
or Victorian London.

3. Favourite FairyTale:
The Little Mermaid was my favourite growing up not the Disney version but the original sad unhappy ending by Hans Christian Anderson
not sure what that says about me as a child!! 

4. Most Embarrassing Unread Classic:
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
having read War & Peace in school
 I still haven't got around to reading Anna Karenina but its on my TBR list!

5. Top 5 Classics You Would Like To Read Soon:
Anna Karenina-Leo Tolstoy
The Picture of Dorian Grey-Oscar Wilde
Agnes Grey-Anne Bronte
The Mill On The Floss-George Eliot
Two On A Tower-Thomas Hardy

6. Favourite Modern Book/Series Based On A Classic:
I found this question really hard as I don't normally read retellings of my favourite classics
and most of the ones I have read don't come close to the originals but two of the ones I really enjoyed are
Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhy which is a prequel to Jane Eyre and tells the story of Mr Rochester's first wife.
I also really love March by Geraldine Brooks which tells the story of Little Women through
Mr & Mrs March. I really loved this as both Father and Marmee are giving a voice.

7. Favourite Screen Version Of A Classic:
There are a few I really like I couldn't pick one so I narrowed it down to three!
Pride & Prejudice 2005 film adaption
the casting, score and direction was perfect
BBC reworkings of Dickens called Dickensian
I really enjoyed this mini soap opera of Dickens's works
and it's a pity another series was declined by the BBC
Jane Eyre 2006 mini series
The is my favourite Ruth Wilson is everything I imagine Jane Eyre to be
and Toby Stephen's Mr Rochester is as sly, arrogant, creepy and sexy character
The setting, locations and screenplay is amazing and everything an adaption should be!

8. Worst Classic Screen Adaptation:
War of The Worlds 2005 film adaption
The only thing good about this was Morgan Freeman's narration
at the start of the movie it quickly went down hill after that
and I hated it!

9. Favourite Editions You Would Like To Collect More From:
To be honest I don't collect much books get most of my books from the library

10. An Underhyped Classic You Would Recommend:
Anne Bronte's The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
(maybe not unhyped but definitely overlooked for her sister's novels)
a beautiful ahead of it's time tale of a woman in a violent abusive marriage
and her struggles to escape her marriage and start again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment Paul & I really appreciate them.

You can also get in touch with us at mrslfurey101@gmail.com

Thanks The Furey Follies

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com