Sunday 16 October 2016

On The Box Last Week

Warning-TV Spoilers Ahead!

I thought I better get ahead of my on the box reviews before even more of my favourite shows start back in the next couple of weeks!
I'll start with the finale of  ITV's big budget drama and Downton Abbey replacement Victoria last Sunday night.
I enjoyed this some what over dramatic period drama I found it easy to watch and I liked the Downton feel with the servants stories. While the finale wasn't very exciting to be honest! The writers treated this finale as if it was a cliff hanger and anyone who knows even a little history knows this woman became one of Britain's longest ever monarchs. So I wasn't sure why it felt like there was meant to be tension at an assassination attempt when we knew that she survives and has plenty of children.
I have missed Rufus Sewell as Lord M in the last few episodes I know he needed to move on for Albert and Victoria's relationship to grow but he was still her PM so surely he would still be meeting the Queen regarding the running of the country. I think the last episodes would of been better if we had of seen some of the tension between Lord M and Albert.
Yet I loved this cosy Sunday night drama, it's not without its flaws but then so was Downton Abbey!

I have been really savouring the last few episodes of the Bake Off as we know it!
This week was another first on the show it was Tudor week! Think game pies, huge sugary displays and Paul Hollywood lording it about!! Mel and Sue was on point and Sue actually stood speaking to my favourite Selasi with a bunch of rosemary up her nose for the whole time!
The technical this week was of course a very tough Paul Hollywood challenge something called Jumbles which where like Celtic knot biscuits! This week saw Andrew, Jane and Candice do very well, but my two favourites Selasi and Benjamina didn't fare too well. It wasn't Benjamina's week and she got sent home. I felt so sorry for her as she was one of my favourites.
Next week is the semi finale which means only two more episodes of the bake off to devour!

We are only two episodes in to the new Sky Atlantic drama Westword
but we are LOVING it!
Paul sat me down and made me watch the cult movie from the 70's with Yul Brynner as the man in black. So I do know the premise of the plot. Westworld is a theme park for the worlds rich while not stated in the show how much it is to stay there in the movie its $1000 a day but that was 30 years ago! Guests enter the world of the wild west, with all the trimming, they enter into story lines build into the parks hosts or robots who look, feel and act real. In the first episode we met Dolores who is a host in the park who relives the same day over again with slight differences depending on who she meets host or guest. Her host father finds a photo dropped by one of the guest which sends him off questioning everything about his life as a host. He tells her something which seems to them trigger her into remembering different memories of a life she can't recall. Her father is shut away after the control room and management state is malfunction.
I really like how the viewer gets to see both sides the theme park itself and then those who control it or who think they do. Anthony Hopkins is amazing as always as the park's creator Dr Robert Ford who seems to be fighting his own demons. One of the guest who is terrifying is The Man in Black played by Ed Harris in a twist from the movie he is actually a paying guest but he is playing a much darker deeper game.
I really like the nod to the original movie in this episode when the viewer meets two friends Will (Jimmi Simpson) and Logan (Ben Barnes) and through there eyes we see the park from the guests point of view.
It was Thandie Newton who ran away with this second episode as Dolores repeats the words her father told her to Newton. Newton is an English Madame running the saloon in Westworld. Yet as we find out she is in trouble of becoming decommissioned in the control room as guests are getting bored of her. From the moment Dolores whispers those words to her Newton is haunted by harrowing, violent memories of what must be her past or past storylines as we found in the opening episodes hosts are reused for different storylines and characters throughout the park.
Only two episodes in there is defiantly trouble ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment Paul & I really appreciate them.

You can also get in touch with us at mrslfurey101@gmail.com

Thanks The Furey Follies

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com