Monday 31 October 2016

This Month I Have Mostly Been Reading-October

This month has been an odd one, some books I loved and some I hated!
I even got hubby to write a review on the book he was reading!
While I really enjoyed some of the books I read, I found on the whole I am not really enjoying reading! I think I am putting too much pressure on myself to read a certain amount of books.
For November I am going to cut my TBR in half and just go with what books strike me to read.

The Nightingale~Kristin Hannah
This was my favourite book of the month! The story is set in France in World War II and it follows two sisters Vianne and Isabelle who to be honest are not very likable at the begin of the book. It took me a few chapters to like either of them. I liked how the POV shifted to either sister in each chapter it was this that made me see into there thoughts and feelings. Isabelle is 18 years old and not going to take this war lying down, she is made of hard stuff and knows she is going to try help the resistance any way she can.
Vianne is much more refined and will keep the peace to keep her daughter safe. Her situation is a nerve wrecking one with her husband off fighting for the French. The occupying Germans see her home as somewhere there men can stay. She is aways trending on water between her loyalty to her friends and family and staying on the Germans good side. 
Isabelle goes to huge lengths to help the allies her physical strength is amazing and yet Vianne mental strength is also to be admired. This book pulls on the heart strings, it sucked in and really made me care about the characters.
While both sisters are very different there are both to be admired for the different ways they helped in the war effort. The end of the book was quite heart breaking and definitely not what I saw coming!
It's a book that will stay with you long after reading

You And Me, Always~Jill Mansell
This was my first Mansell book to read and it will not be my last I loved this light sweet read!
This has a sweet plot about first loves, Hollywood glamour, and beautiful country village.
The plots are slightly predictable but after reading the heartbreaking plot of The Nightingale this was just what I needed!
Lily's mother died when she was just eight years old she left a letter for her daughter for every birthday until her twenty-fifth this is her last letter. This letter changes things and brings up someone from Lily's past. Jill Mansell brings life into great charaters I loved all of the characters and the settling of pretty postcard village Stanton Langley is stunning.
It's defiantly a curl up on the sofa read, while forgetting the worries of the world to get lost in Mansell's funny and heartwarming world. 

The Misbegotten~Katherine Webb
I had this book on my TBR for a while so thought October and Autumn would be a good time to finally read this. I had high hopes for this book, dark secrets set in a rural village in Victoria times it sounded right up my ally. So you can imagination how I felt when I put it down after only 120 pages! I just couldn't get into it, it was so sold paced and the main character Rachel was so unlikable! I didn't want to get into a reading slump so I put it down!

  Divided Loyalites-Patricia Scanlan
I really enjoy Patricia Scanlan books this was like an family saga spanning over years
While its a long read over 700 pages I read it quickly as it was an easy read and really enjoyable
It's mostly about two sisters and there highs and lows over the course of a few years
I liked how the book started at Christmas time and went through all the seasons until it was Christmas again many years later.

What Paul Has Been Reading This Month:
Jurassic Park~Michael Crichton
As  I have taken up more reading again, my wife has asked me to write a review on the book I read each month.
This month I have read Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton, most of the newer generation do not realise that everyone's favourite movie about dinosaurs began with a book. Having been a big fan of the films for many years I decided it was time to compare the novel and I wasn't disappointed. The book differs greatly to the original blockbuster to the point that characters that were villains in the movie started out as heroes and vice versa. Characters integral to the story have been completely erased or glazed over. There are so many great scenes that the movie could have added such as the T-Rex hunting the raft with Lex, Tim and Grant in the lagoon.
The obvious character to pick out was Richard Hammond (everyone's favourite granddad) in the novel Richard Hammond is a visionary like his movie counterpart however that is where the similarity ends. This Richard Hammond would have been better played by Jonathon Pryce, he is a capitalist first and refuses to see reason. He is also the reason for the failures in the park, he forces Denis Nedry into the arms of his rivals by under paying him for work on the computer system.
One character that is portrayed as coward in the movie is Gennaro the lawyer. this character is involved in almost every rescue operation in the book and is the reason for the survival of most of the characters.
I really enjoyed this book and I have already ordered the sequel - The Lost World.
Sadly we may never see this version of the book make the big screen but in this case I am a big fan of both book and movie.

What Oisìn has been reading this month
Skip To The Loo, My Darling~Sally Lloyd-Jones
We have been reading this sweet book to Oisìn hoping that he will get back on track
with his potty training! Its a cute little book that shows lots of animals using the potty and then includes a mirror so that you can join them!

So thats our reads this month what's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment Paul & I really appreciate them.

You can also get in touch with us at mrslfurey101@gmail.com

Thanks The Furey Follies

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com