Thursday 28 January 2016

This Month I Have Been Mostly Reading - January

While I am out of work sick with my twisted bowel
and waiting on a date for my operation
I have read some wonderful books! Reading has helped me get through the grey
frosty days of January!

Delilah - Eleanor De Jong
The first book I read was Delilah and I really enjoyed it
Everyone knows the story of Delilah who brought the might Samson to
his knees for a bag of silver but what if there was more to it than that?
In De Jong's novel Delilah is a beautiful young woman who lives with her Mother
and Stepfather. When she first meets Samson she takes an instance dislike to him as he is to marry her stepsister, the wedding doesn't go ahead and an almighty row ensues
but they met a few years later and she finds there is more to the man then meets the eye.
She agrees to seduce him but quickly falls for him and then ensues the tragic events
from the bible but with a slightly different spin on it.
I really enjoyed this novel I have read De Jong other novel Jezebel so I had a feeling I would enjoy this. I didn't expect to care so much about the characters, but De Jong seems to take female villains from the bible and show them as strong, independent women and very likable characters. I really felt the love and pain of the last few chapters and really hope De Jong brings out a new novel soon!!

The House At Riverton- Kate Morton
I actually found this book in our local charity shop
while I was waiting to pick up Oisín from daycare
So glad I did! I loved this book and was sucked in from the first pages
The House Riverton is a huge sprawling manor house where Grace
started service in 1914 we see the house and it's people through
Grace's eyes through World War 1 and into the glittering 20's
This book is like a jig saw of sorts it jumps from Riverton in the 20's
back to Grace in the 90's in her nursing home. As Grace finally tells
secrets that have been kept for almost a hundred years. As the pieces start to
fall into place and the scene is set for the dramatic and tragic ending.
I think this book would make a good movie or drama series
I loved all the character especially Grace as she is such a well rounded character
the book is beautiful written. There are influences from Downton Abbey,
Upstairs Downstairs as well as my favourite novel Rebecca
Kate Morton style of writing is similar to Daphne De Maurier powerful but easy to read
and characters so well written that it sucks the reader in and keeps you turning the pages.

Call The Midwife-Jennifer Worth
I have read this trilogy the wrong way around
started with the last book and made my way backwards through the books!
I really like the TV show so a couple of years ago started to read the books
with season five of the show started back this month. I thought I would finally get around to finishing the trilogy and read the very first book.
This is what the first series of the BBC show is basically set on, with Jennifer (Jenny) coming to poplar and starting her midwife journey. This a beautifully written book with a collection of different memories and stories. Worth doesn't sugar coat the East End of London (maybe in the way the show does) the stories about the workhouses, homeless and prostitutes are deeply sad.
I liked the pictures of actually East End children, mothers and slums. What comes through in this book for me is the friendship the three midwifes had together. I really enjoyed it and it made me miss the original cast of the BBC show so might just go back and watch it again!

A Week In Winter - Maeve Binchy
When I want cheering up and want some comfort reading
I go back to Maeve Binchy!
Some of Binchy's books can be a bit hit or miss for me
but I really enjoyed this one.
This book has lots of different characters who are all
connected as they all work in one way or other in Stone House
Stone House is a big house on the coast of Ireland where
back in the glory days all the local people worked there
Now Chicky wanted to return it to its former glory and restore it
as a hotel. I finished this book in a couple of days but that is
what Maeve Binchy's books are like to me, my version
of a cuppa, blanket, hot water bottle and hug all wrapped
up in a book!

What Oisín has been reading this month

Before You Sleep - Benji Bennett
We have a few of the Adam's Cloud books
this are written by Benji when his son passed away he
started a series of books his aim? To ask parents to read
and hug there children what a beauiful thought
We love these books and this one is Oisín favourite at the moment
as he thinks that's him on the cover!
It's a sweet book as it compares your love for your child to different things
"I love you much more than the burning bright sun, I love it so much when we play and have fun"
Find out more about Adam's Cloud here......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment Paul & I really appreciate them.

You can also get in touch with us at mrslfurey101@gmail.com

Thanks The Furey Follies

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com