Tuesday 24 November 2015

This Month I Have Been Mostly Reading - November

This month I tried to fit as many books as I could in before the madness of December starts and I know I will not get the time to read much! I have been finding reading really helping me to relax this month as it has been a little stressful! So here is what I go lost in this month!


Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander series book 2) - Diana Gabaldon
I finally started this book the end of October but with over 900 pages I knew I would be reading it for a while!
I don't want to give an spoilers here but this is the second book in the Outlander series which has been turned into a TV show now. It was the show that made me wanted to read the books unlike many book adaptations the first season of the show was very faithful to the books and after reading this second book I am hoping it stays that way.
What a book! What author has the balls to put a major spoiler at the very first few pages of a book Gabaldon does! I had to check I was reading the right book after the first couple of pages!
It is set into six books without giving away any spoilers it tells us of what happened to time travelling Claire and her new Scottish husband Jamie Frasier when they have to leave Scotland for France to help Bonnie Prince Charlies. Claire tells Jamie there will be war in a couple of years that will kill many Scottish lives for nothing and end the highland clansmen way of life. So off to France they go on a quest to risk their lives to save Scotland.
It did take me a little while to get back into the era of Claire and Jamie and some of the first chapters where a little boring but it really did pick up after the 200 page mark.  The books are long but if you like a sweeping epic love story that lasts the test of time with some heart breaking time travelling and huge cliff hangers thrown in you will like these books. It has got me so excited for season two of Outlander in the Spring. I will read book three but not sure if I will do before or after the next season of Outlander.


The New Countess - Fay Weldon
This is the third book in the trilogy that I was read last month
You can see my review for the first two books here....
I enjoyed the first book but I think the writing went down hill after that and this book
was my least favourite. It is quite easy to read the chapters are short, so I got through it in two days, but the story left alot to be desired!
This book is set five years since Long Live The King...Adela is married and gone to live with her husband (so not in this book) Minne is blissfully married, so is Rosina but both don't stay that way for long. The family are still in good company with the King and his Mistress who have invited themselves on a shooting weekend with the family.
I found Rosina's storyline dragged and boring, the same with Minne who adored her children I didn't see her getting restless and running off and leaving them
All of the characters including the downstairs staff are not likable and I found myself not caring what happened to any of them! It's a trilogy that I will not be reading again in a hurry!


The Magic of Christmas - Trisha Ashley
I started my Christmas reading early this year and got excited to see this book in my local library
I have read some of Trisha Ashley before and was happy to see another festive offering from her
So I was really disappointed when I started to struggle with this book after a couple of chapters
I felt the name and cover of this book is misleading the book isn't set at Christmas with only the last couple of chapters set at Christmas
The story is about Lizzy who is a writer and to the rest of the village is living the ideal life
But she isn't herself and her husband are living like strangers with the love long gone from there marriage
When an accident happens and Lizzy finds herself widowed it turns out her husband was having several affairs. Lizzy is shocked but goes on with her life with her son Jasper.
To be honest I found myself losing interest with this book half way through it and made myself finish it. I never really liked any of the characters and some of the Christmas Pudding Club characters where very boring!
I did enjoy the last couple of chapters of this book when it was actually set at Christmas
but overall I would read a different Trisha Ashley book to get into the Christmas spirit and give this one a miss!


It Started With A Kiss - Miranda Dickinson
This was my first time reading a book from this author but it will not be my last!
I was hoping this would be a better story than my last festive read and it really was.
 I wasn't sure when I read the blurb on the back of the book if I would like it, but the story in well written and quick to get into, chapters are short and easy to read.
I would say this a sweet easy to read festive chit lit book. 
We follow Romily over the course of a year when at a Christmas market she literally bumps into the man of her dreams, for a few fleeting seconds they kiss but then he is gone. Over the next year Romily makes it her quest to find him again, with the help of her Wedding Band mates, Aunt and Uncle and blog she is set to find her Phantom Kisser again! But maybe for her love is a little closer to home? 
There is a really great twist at the end which I have to say I didn't see coming and really enjoyed. The Christmas chapters are so festive I could almost see the snow and taste the mulled wine! I loved how all the chapters where named after well known songs. I read this book in a couple of days and afterwards wanted to put our Christmas tree up! If you like easy festive reading with a feel good ending you will enjoy this book.

What Oisín has been reading this Month!

One Little Baby - Richard Dungworth & Jane Massey

Oisín has been picking this one for bedtime alot this month
It's just a cute short story about a little baby and his busy day
It's very cute and Oisín likes to say night night sleepy head at the end!

So that's what we have been writing how about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment Paul & I really appreciate them.

You can also get in touch with us at mrslfurey101@gmail.com

Thanks The Furey Follies

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com