Wednesday 30 March 2016

On The Box This Week

Warning-TV Spoilers Ahead!

Due to the weekend that was in it, we watched this 1977 mini series
Jesus of Nazareth by Frank Zeffirelli
I had seen this before once as a teenager and it stuck with me. Paul had never seen it
and couldn't get over the list of big names who starred it in including
Robert Powell as Jesus, Anne Bancroft as Mary Magdalene, James Earl Jones as Balthazar,
Ian McShane as Judas, Christopher Plummer as Herod, Michael York as John The Baptist
Peter Ustinov as Herod The Great, and Olivia Hussey as Mary 
We always watch a sword and sandal epic on Easter last year it was The Greatest Story Ever Told another star studded bible epic! This year this was shown over the Easter weekend starting on Good Friday and finishing on Easter Monday.

We love this show but the ad breaks are getting ridiculous now!
With so many ad breaks it drags this once hour long show out over
almost two hours! ITV are well know for this as they have done it with
Downton Abbey and The X Factor but it's putting me off watching my
favourite Saturday night show! This week the lads where joined by
Luke Skywalker himself Mark Hamill so hubby was fan boying all over himself
and let's not get started on all the scandal that has gone along with
the live wedding!!!

I am a huge fan of the Bronte sisters so was happy to see
the BBC had some fascinating shows over the Easter weekend about the sisters
Saturday night the programme was called Being The Brontes
Where various different writers took on the persona of eachof the Bronte sisters. 
Each of the women learned more about their favourite sister and the novels they wrote. 
While I didn't learn anything new from this show I did enjoyed it even if critics
have called it Teacher TV!! There was alot of wandering across the moors
explaining why each sister was the best. Why do we insistent on putting each sister
against each other? Each of there works are amazing in there own right, is it because
they are woman and sisters that one must be better than the other? Who knows if Emily
or Anne had lived longer what other novels they would of written but this show
did make me realise that unlike Charlotte's Jane Eyre or Emily's Wuthering Heights
Anne's Agnes Grey hasn't had much in the way of screen adaptions and would
be perfect for a costume drama on a Sunday evening!

This episode was a little of a let down 
but I knew it would basically the calm before the final episode storm!
I don't think we have to riot as I am sure Daryl is not dead and just has a shoulder flesh wound!
I think Rick has been quite arrogant this season surely after everything this group
have been through him of all people shouldn't be taking things for granted?!
He seems to think himself and his group unstoppable but I think he is in
for a rude awakening next week. I also think things seem to be going too well
for him, his son survived a shot to the head and the relationship with Michionne seems to be
going well so something bad is going to go down next week!
I am going back to a point I made a while ago when we had another filler
episode while I think this show can be at times amazing it has too many filler moments
and would work better if we had less episodes per season.
I am also disappointed in the lack of Alexandrions in this season where is Heath, Aaron, Spencer
and the others the writers want us to care about with barely an screen time?
Negan is on his way and I really hope he lives up the hype!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment Paul & I really appreciate them.

You can also get in touch with us at mrslfurey101@gmail.com

Thanks The Furey Follies

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com