Friday 25 March 2016

This Month I Have Mostly Been Reading - March

This month was a busy one so I didn't
do as much reading as I would of liked 
Still managed to read a few books
Here is my March book review

The Rose Garden -Susanna Kearsley
This sounded like a book I would really enjoy
I even bought this book in my local book shop
but I was disappoint with this book
The story is of Eva who goes back to England from LA
to scatter her sisters aches while there she
travels back through time to 1715 where she meets Daniel a smuggler
For me this plot was too much like the Outlander books there is even a
Jacobite war with a nasty outcome. The book lacked and I found myself
skipping large chunks of dialogue just to get to the end.
Which also disappointed me hopefully I will read another of this authors books
and enjoy it, but The Rose Garden wasn't for me 

The Dovekeepers-Alice Hoffman
Ever read a book and even tho you are enjoying reading it, it takes forever to get through?!
This was that kind of book for me! I really enjoyed reading this and the story-lines
are really interesting but it felt like I was reading it for months!
I didn't know much of the history surrounding the plot
it's set around a historical event, some things from the Masada event can be found in
museums. It seems like it is a man's tale to tell as only Jewish men can be warriors
But Hoffman takes four women the dovekeepers and tells their story
They have come to Masada with there own families and have there own secerts and stories
to tell. Hoffman gives them there own books within a book
and through The Assassin's Daughter, The Baker's Wife, The Warrior's Beloved
and The Witch of Moab we learn about the Jewish way of life in 73CE
and how Masada came to be and how it ran red with Jewish blood by there own hands
I really enjoyed this book it did get a little bogged down in the middle
but I kept reading and am glad I did the ending was beautiful
With lines like this one “Let my burden be your burden, and yours be mine.”
It's hard not to see the beauty in Hoffman's writing I will be reading more from her soon

Another Heartbeat In The House -Kate Beaufoy
This book looked promising with comparisons to Rachel Hore and Kate Morton
but I was very disappointed I am a huge fan of historical fiction, this fell short for me
It tells the story of British editor Edie in the 1930's who travels to Cork to help
pack up and sell her parents friends old country estate. It is a happy distraction for her
as she is grieving for her best friend who has died suddenly in car accident
While she is there she discovers a diary of sorts from a woman called Eliza Drury from the
1840's soon Edie is drawn into Eliza's life and the secrets she kept
Sounds great but it wasn't the writing isn't great and the name dropping got a bit too much.
Dylan Thomas, Daphne du Maurier and Ian Flemming to name a few
It painted Ireland to be land of leprechaun loving and potato picking people using words like
bog land and paddy land! Some of the history about the Great Irish Famine was wrong
and that really annoyed me!
Eliza is a strong and feisty character but Edie just comes across as bland. I found myself
skipping through chapters just to finish the book.

A Very Big House In The Country-Claire Sandy
This is the type of chic lit I love, I have read Sandy's What Would Mary Berry Do and love it
So when I saw this book I knew I had to read it after a month of mediocre books
I was delighted with this funny read. Evie decides it's time for a family holiday so with help
of her best friend Shen they book a huge house for their families but when the third family drop
out last minute the new slightly weird family from school are thrown into the mix!
A huge house with a pool, three couples, several children, three moody teens, and two dogs
this is never going to be the relaxing holiday the Dad's are hoping for and every one of the adults and some of the teens are keeping secrets from each other. It's a very funny read and I was laughing out loud at some of the mix ups and cross wires that happened! I have to admit I did see some of the twists coming but not all of them and some issues are a little darker then normal chic lit, which I think gives extra depth to the book.
Claire Sandy really know how to write a good funny book and I am hoping she has a new book out soon. I will be adding her Christmas book to my reading list this year!

What Oisìn has been reading this month

Not On A School Night-Rebecca Patterson
We got this book from the library and the three of us enjoyed reading it
Hubby and I can relate to it and Oisìn enjoys the pictures and the funny story that goes with it!
We will be looking for more books from this author

What have you been reading recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment Paul & I really appreciate them.

You can also get in touch with us at mrslfurey101@gmail.com

Thanks The Furey Follies

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com