Friday 30 December 2016

This Month I Have Mostly Been Reading~December


I started off on a reading roll this month but as often happens around Christmas time
I was really busy and haven't finished a book since before Christmas Day!
Watching all the festive TV has got in the way! I started Calling Mrs Christmas the other day
but will not get it finished before writing this post, so will review it in January's post!

Every Time A Bell Rings~Carmel Harrington
Last year Twelve Days Of Christmas was my festive book of the year. This year it is this Irish retelling of It's A Wonderful Life.
It took me a while to get into this book, but when I did I didn't want to put it down! It's full of the spirit of Christmas just what you want in a festive book.
Harrington was quite brave to tackle a retelling of a wonderful life, through the story of Belle a mix-raced young woman who has spent her childhood in various foster homes. It sounds like it could be quite downbeat but it's a stunning book, filled with joy, Christmas magic and the love of family.
I'm not ashamed to say I did shed a few tears at the end when Nora finally got her chance.
I would recommend this book for anyone who is looking for a heartwarming Christmas read

Snowed In For Christmas~Claire Sandy
Beautiful Christmas sparky cover, chick-lit set in Ireland, and an author who I love seems to tick all my boxes, but this book fell so flat for me!
I have LOVED Sandy's other novels What Would Mary Berry Do? and A Very Big House In The Country, so I couldn't wait to read this and see what Sandy had in store at Christmas!
It tells us of Asta who got pregnant as a teenager left the small Irish town she called home and relocated to London. She has been living there every since with her now 16 year old daughter, she doesn't visit home....ever! That is until her hunky boss asks her to go back to report on a religious miracle a weeping statue! Asta is very nervous to go home, as she knows some secrets will start to unravel, everyone thinks that a French exchange student is the Father of her daughter, but the truth is much more murky than that!
When Sandy got some elements of the book right it was brilliant, but the stereotyping of an small Irish town was after a while annoying! Tobercree sound like a cross between Ballykissangel and Craggy Island!
I didn't feel any of the Christmas magic or spirit from the previous book, even with all the sparkle of the cover!

The Winter Folly~Lulu Taylor
I haven't read anything from this author before, but when I saw the title I immediately added to my TBR for this month!
It sounded like something I would enjoy history fiction with a mystery thrown in!
Present day Delilah is a young second wife of John Stirling owner of Fort Stiring the house and owner seem, sad and lonely. Delilah had great plans of change but soon learns that nothing is allowed to change in Fort Stiring! Delilah starts to unravel the secret surrounding John's mother Alexandra and her death. 
It took me about 200 pages to get into this book, the story didn't flow as much I hoped. Some of the characters are very hard to like and lacked dept. That all being said I liked it I just didn't love this book, but I will definitely be reading another book from this author soon.

Wish Upon A Star~Trisha Ashley
This was the last book I finished this month, Ashley books can be a bit hit or miss for me
Last month book A Christmas Cracker was a miss but this one was definitely a hit!
This is another one that has a beautiful festive cover the story is heartwarming and full of Christmas spirit. This one pulled at my heart strings and I shed a few tears at the end
Cally is a singe mother who was told to get rid of the baby when she finds out she is pregnant
She give birth to a beautiful baby girl called Stella but she has a heart defective, so Cally must give up everything to help get the money for surgery. Of course there is a hint of romance thrown in, I loved this book.
I took it as the huge mush fest it is, because at Christmas time that is just what I want to read!

What Oisìn has been reading this month
When I Dream of Christmas~Oakley Graham
Oisìn loved this book over Christmas, we done an advent book calendar which he loved
but he always came back to this book. He loved the different words associated with Christmas time such as North Pole, Angels, Elves, Carol Singers, Santa Claus, and Baby Jesus
A beautiful book which I know will be a favourite for years to come

Paul didn't read anything over the Christmas time or this month
Guess he was too busy with work and last minute gift buying!
So that what we read this month how about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment Paul & I really appreciate them.

You can also get in touch with us at mrslfurey101@gmail.com

Thanks The Furey Follies

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com